Susannah Place celebrated its 170th anniversary with a free community event held on 14 September 2014 brought together ex-residents, descendants and the public.
A list of all the tenants living at numbers 58, 60, 62 and 64 Susannah Place.
In a simple ruled exercise book, with margins drawn neatly in red ink, are over 60 pages of handwritten recipes, cooking rules and techniques, recorded by 12 year old Jenny (Dolly) Youngein, 104 years ago.
Come and play with Anna Cossu at Susannah Place Museum and find out what the kids who lived there got up to in the footpaths, streets and lane ways of the Rocks, Sydney.
Our curators peel back the layers from the walls and floors to reveal the humble histories of our places and the stories of the everyday people who lived there. Stories from Susannah Place Museum, Hyde Park Barracks Museum and Justice & Police Museum.
As anyone who has lived in a terrace house knows getting large pieces of furniture upstairs can be a frustratingly hard and sometimes hazardous exercise.
Built on a narrow strip of land left over from the Sydney Harbour Bridge construction the King George V Memorial Playground (KGV) was built by the Sydney Municipal Council as a part of a scheme to provide playgrounds in crowded inner city suburbs.
Fragments of a 1946 Greek-American Tribune newspaper discovered beneath a worn layer of linoleum in the front bedroom, olive seeds in the kitchen hearth along with names and dates in Rate Assessment books were the only clues to the existence of a Greek family that lived at 60 Gloucester Street, The Rocks.
Susannah Place opened as a 'warts and all' house museum in 1993, but it took until 2006 to finally throw all of its door open to visitors. Curator Anna Cossu explains who lived here, what makes this place is important and why it's forever a 'work in progress'.
Perched on one of the sandstone ledges that gave The Rocks its name, Susannah Place is a typically English row of ‘two up, two down’ terraces, each originally with basement cellars and kitchens, separate laundries and bathrooms. Between 1844 and 1990, over 100 families called these four terrace houses home, living lives inextricably linked to the vibrant world of the Rocks beyond their front doors.