Explosive excesses: New Year's Eve in Sydney
The boom of fireworks echoing around the harbour is part of today's soundtrack of a Sydney New Year's Eve.
One hundred years ago the celebration had a very different sound which, according to contemporary newspaper reports, was enough to frighten old people and visitors from the country.
That sound was produced by a new ‘toy’ – the explosive stick.
A device designed purely to make a loud noise, the explosive stick was packed with material which would go off with an ear-splitting bang when dropped on the ground. On New Year's Eve 1908, over one hundred of the sticks were confiscated by police, one of which was preserved and is now on display at the Justice & Police Museum.
Many complaints were made about the sticks and the Inspector General of Police at the time, Thomas Garvin, became concerned that they might be a dangerous weapon in the hands of the ‘larrikin element’. The Premier of NSW, Charles Wade, vowed to put an end to their use.
A crackdown on the importation and sale of the devices began and in February 1908 a case was heard in the Water Police summons court against Michael Albert, who had imported a quantity of the sticks from New York for sale in his King Street shop during the lead up to New Year's Eve. Although pleading that he thought them to be harmless toys, he was convicted over the illegal importation of the explosive charges used in the sticks.
Police continued to relentlessly confiscate explosive sticks from New Year revellers and their popularity quickly faded away.
Visit Justice & Police Museum
COVID-19 updateFriday 25 June 2021
In line with decisions made by the NSW Government, Sydney Living Museums will close to the public from Saturday 26 June to Friday 9 July (inclusive) to help protect the health of all visitors and staff and minimise the spread of COVID-19 (coronavirus) in the state.
Conservation in action: Rum Hospital's verandah and columnsThursday 9 September 2021
Structural repairs and conservation of the timber verandah and columns of the former ‘Rum Hospital’