Museum Volunteer opportunity: Elizabeth Bay House
Then this may be the volunteer role for you.
At Sydney Living Museums we're passionate about bringing our museums to life. We’re looking for Museum Volunteers to join our team at Elizabeth Bay House and play a role in providing memorable experiences for our visitors.
With commanding views over Sydney Harbour, Elizabeth Bay House is one of the most splendid private houses ever built in Australia. Its elegant rooms and fine proportions, sweeping staircase and lavish furnishings reveal the tastes and aspirations of its original owner, Alexander Macleay, one of the most important public officials in colonial Sydney. Elizabeth Bay House is an iconic Sydney home, with an iconic Sydney back-story of obsession for property and position stretched beyond means and undone by changing financial times.
Museum Volunteers at Elizabeth Bay House engage visitors by sharing the rich stories of the property through formal guided tours and informal conversations. Museum Volunteers are ambassadors for Sydney Living Museums, letting visitors know how they can get the most out of their visit.
- To be a Museum Volunteer at Elizabeth Bay House you’ll have a friendly manner, great communication skills and enjoy interacting with people from a range of backgrounds and age groups, including children. You'll be committed to providing great customer service and you'll know how to be flexible and work in a team.
- Museum Volunteers fulfil at least 18 shifts per year, equivalent to an average of one shift every two weeks.
- We are looking for 3-4 volunteers at Elizabeth Bay House.
- We have vacancies for regular fortnightly shifts on Fridays and Saturdays.
- Volunteers who are unable to commit to a regular shift pattern can sign-up to shifts when they are available. These ‘flexible’ volunteers must have capacity to regularly pick up shifts on Fridays-Sundays throughout the year. We have one ‘flexible’ volunteer shift pattern available.
- It is recommended that volunteers travel to shifts via public transport as there is no parking available on site and the surrounding streets have one-hour parking only.
- Volunteers must have current Working with Children clearance. It’s free for volunteers - read the Help Sheet for how to apply.
- Successful applicants will be invited for a short face-to-face interview.
All volunteers receive a free Sydney Living Museums membership which includes unlimited free entry to all our museums and properties plus a huge range of member-only benefits!
Download the full Role Description from this webpage to read more about the role. To apply complete the online Application Form below and upload your CV by 10am Monday 29 July 2019.
Interviews will be held on Monday 5 and Wednesday 7 August at a city location.
How to apply
Please complete the following steps:
We are currently recruiting for Museum Volunteers at Elizabeth Bay House (Elizabeth Bay), Elizabeth Farm (Rosehill), Justice & Police Museum (Sydney CBD), Museum of Sydney (Sydney CBD), Rose Seidler House (Wahroonga), Rouse Hill House & Farm (Rouse Hill), Susannah Place Museum (The Rocks, Sydney) and Vaucluse House, (Vaucluse).
To apply for multiple properties please complete a single online application. Be sure to outline your suitability for each property you are interested in.
Email any enquiries to email@example.com
More about volunteering
Our volunteers are the heart, soul and backbone of Sydney Living Museums – without their support, enthusiasm and energy, we couldn't do the work we do.
We offer a diverse mix of opportunities and roles for volunteers, which draw on a diverse range of skills and qualities.