Museum Volunteer opportunity: Elizabeth Farm
Then this may be the volunteer role for you.
At Sydney Living Museums we're passionate about bringing our museums to life. We’re looking for Museum Volunteers to join our team at Elizabeth Farm and play a role in providing memorable experiences for our visitors.
Built for the young military couple John and Elizabeth Macarthur and their growing family in 1793, Elizabeth Farm is one of the oldest homes in Australia. This restful homestead hides a dark and stormy past. Elizabeth Farm witnessed major events in the growth of the colony, from the toppling of governors and convict rebellion to the birth of the Australian wool industry.
Today, set within a re-created 1830s garden, Elizabeth Farm is an ‘access all areas’ museum. There are no barriers, locked doors, delicate furnishings or untouchable ornaments. Australia’s oldest homestead is now our most hands-on ‘living’ house museum.
Museum Volunteers at Elizabeth Farm engage visitors by sharing the rich stories of the property through informal conversations and guided tours. Museum Volunteers are ambassadors for Sydney Living Museums, letting visitors know how they can get the most out of their visit.
- To be a Museum Volunteer at Elizabeth Farm you’ll have a friendly manner, great communication skills and enjoy interacting with people from a range of backgrounds and age groups, including children. You'll be committed to providing great customer service and you'll know how to be flexible and work in a team.
- Museum Volunteers fulfil at least 18 shifts per year, equivalent to an average of one shift every two weeks.
- We are looking for 7-8 volunteers at Elizabeth Farm.
- We have vacancies for regular fortnightly shifts on Wednesdays or Saturdays.
- Volunteers who are unable to commit to a regular shift pattern can sign-up to shifts when they are available. These ‘flexible’ volunteers must be available on Mondays and Tuesdays during school holidays as well as have capacity to regularly pick up shifts on Wednesdays-Sundays throughout the year.
- Travel to Elizabeth Farm by car is recommended. There is plenty of free on-street parking.
- Volunteers must have current Working with Children clearance. It’s free for volunteers - read the Help Sheet for how to apply.
Successful applicants will be invited for a short face-to-face interview.
All volunteers receive a free Sydney Living Museums membership which includes unlimited free entry to all our museums and properties plus a huge range of member-only benefits!
Download the full Role Description from this webpage to read more about the role. To apply complete the online Application Form below and upload your CV by 10am Monday 29 July 2019.
Interviews will be held at Elizabeth Farm on Friday 9 August.
How to apply
Please complete the following steps:
We are currently recruiting for Museum Volunteers at Elizabeth Bay House (Elizabeth Bay), Elizabeth Farm (Rosehill), Justice & Police Museum (Sydney CBD), Museum of Sydney (Sydney CBD), Rose Seidler House (Wahroonga), Rouse Hill House & Farm (Rouse Hill), Susannah Place Museum (The Rocks, Sydney) and Vaucluse House, (Vaucluse).
To apply for multiple properties please complete a single online application. Be sure to outline your suitability for each property you are interested in.
Email any enquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org
More about volunteering
Our volunteers are the heart, soul and backbone of Sydney Living Museums – without their support, enthusiasm and energy, we couldn't do the work we do.
We offer a diverse mix of opportunities and roles for volunteers, which draw on a diverse range of skills and qualities.