Museum Volunteer opportunity: Museum of Sydney
Then this may be the volunteer role for you.
At Sydney Living Museums we're passionate about bringing our museums to life. We’re looking for Volunteers to join our team at Museum of Sydney and play a role in providing great experiences, especially for children and family audiences.
The Museum of Sydney celebrates the people and events that have shaped the character of this city. In 1788 Governor Phillip chose this site for his official residence. It quickly became the centre of the colony’s administrative and social life, and an important focus of first contact with the Gadigal people. Today, through a diverse and changing program of exhibitions and events, the Museum of Sydney protects the fragile remains of this deeply significant and symbolic site, and tells ongoing stories of Sydney and its people.
Our Volunteers are central to the visitor experience at Museum of Sydney. Volunteers welcome and orientate visitors, engaging them through informal conversations about our museum stories and objects. Volunteers also engage one-on-one with visitors to our interactive Touch Table experience.
Volunteers’ tasks change with our program of rotating exhibitions and include helping with kids’ craft activities, monitoring interactive exhibition displays or invigilating. Museum Volunteers are ambassadors for Sydney Living Museums, letting visitors know how they can get the most out of their visit.
- To be a Volunteer at Museum of Sydney you’ll have a friendly manner, great communication skills and enjoy interacting with people from a range of backgrounds and age groups. You’ll love helping children and families interact with our daily museum activities. You'll be committed to providing great customer service and you'll know how to be flexible and work in a team.
- Museum Volunteers fulfil at least 18 shifts per year, equivalent to an average of one shift every two weeks.
- We are looking for 6-7 volunteers at Museum of Sydney.
- Regular fortnightly shifts are available on Saturdays and Sundays and some weekdays.
- Volunteers who are unable to commit to a regular shift pattern can sign-up to shifts when they are available. These ‘flexible’ volunteers must have good availability on several days of the week to be able to regularly pick up shifts throughout the year. Museum of Sydney is open 7 days a week.
- Volunteers have the option to be assigned to both Museum of Sydney and the Justice & Police Museum. Volunteers choosing this paired option can do shifts at both sites to meet their 18-shift quota.
- Travel to Museum of Sydney by public transport is recommended as there is no parking on site.
- Volunteers must have current Working with Children clearance. It’s free for volunteers - read the Help Sheet for how to apply.
- Successful applicants will be invited for a short face-to-face interview.
All volunteers receive a free Sydney Living Museums membership which includes unlimited free entry to all our museums and properties plus a huge range of member-only benefits!
Download the full Role Description from this webpage to read more about the role. To apply complete the online Application Form below and upload your CV by 10am Monday 29 July 2019.
Interviews will be held on Wednesday 7 and Monday 12 August at a city location.
How to apply
Please complete the following steps:
We’re currently recruiting for Museum Volunteers at Elizabeth Bay House (Elizabeth Bay), Elizabeth Farm (Rosehill), Justice & Police Museum (Sydney CBD), Museum of Sydney (Sydney CBD), Rose Seidler House (Wahroonga), Rouse Hill House & Farm (Rouse Hill), Susannah Place Museum (The Rocks, Sydney) and Vaucluse House, (Vaucluse).
To apply for multiple properties please complete a single online application. Be sure to outline your suitability for each property you are interested in.
Email any enquiries to email@example.com
More about volunteering
Our volunteers are the heart, soul and backbone of Sydney Living Museums – without their support, enthusiasm and energy, we couldn't do the work we do.
We offer a diverse mix of opportunities and roles for volunteers, which draw on a diverse range of skills and qualities.