Museum Volunteer opportunity: Susannah Place Museum
Then this may be the volunteer role for you.
At Sydney Living Museums we're passionate about bringing our museums to life. We’re looking for Museum Volunteers to join our team at Susannah Place Museum and play a role in providing memorable experiences for our visitors.
Located in the heart of The Rocks, Susannah Place is a terrace of four houses built by Irish immigrants in 1844. For nearly 150 years these small houses with tiny backyards, basement kitchens and outside wash houses were home to more than 100 families. Against a backdrop of the working harbour and growing city, their everyday lives played out. Susannah Place has survived largely unchanged through the redevelopments of the past century. Today it tells the stories of the ordinary people and families whose lives have left an extraordinary legacy in modern Sydney’s oldest neighbourhood.
Museum Volunteers at Susannah Place Museum engage visitors by sharing the rich stories of the property through formal, timed guided tours. Museum Volunteers are ambassadors for Sydney Living Museums, letting visitors know how they can get the most out of their visit.
- To be a Museum Volunteer at Susannah Place Museum you’ll be passionate about tour-guiding and able to handle the challenges of keeping your tour on time. You’ll have a friendly manner, great communication skills and enjoy interacting with people from a range of backgrounds and age groups, including children. You'll be committed to providing great customer service and you'll know how to be flexible and work in a team.
- Museum Volunteers fulfil at least 18 shifts per year, equivalent to an average of one shift every two weeks.
- We are looking for 1-2 volunteers at Susannah Place Museum.
- We have one vacancy for a regular fortnightly shift on Sunday afternoons.
- We also have one vacancy for a 'flexible' volunteer who is available to do a Friday afternoon shift every month and has capacity to regularly pick up afternoon shifts on a range of weekdays throughout the year. 'Flexible' volunteers can sign-up to shifts when they are available. Susannah Place Museum is open 7 days from 2-5pm.
- Travel to Susannah Place Museum by public transport is recommended as there is no parking on site.
- Volunteers must have current Working with Children clearance. It’s free for volunteers - read the Help Sheet for how to apply.
- Successful applicants will be invited for a short face-to-face interview
All volunteers receive a free Sydney Living Museums membership which includes unlimited free entry to all our museums and properties plus a huge range of member-only benefits!
Download the full Role Description from this webpage to read more about the role. To apply complete the online Application Form below and upload your CV by 10am Monday 29 July 2019.
Interviews will be held on Wednesday 7 and Monday 12 August at a city location.
How to apply
Please complete the following steps:
We're currently recruiting for Museum Volunteers at Elizabeth Bay House (Elizabeth Bay), Elizabeth Farm (Rosehill), Justice & Police Museum (Sydney CBD), Museum of Sydney (Sydney CBD), Rose Seidler House (Wahroonga), Rouse Hill House & Farm (Rouse Hill), Susannah Place Museum (The Rocks, Sydney) and Vaucluse House, (Vaucluse).
To apply for multiple properties please complete a single online application. Be sure to outline your suitability for each property you are interested in.
Email any enquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org
More about volunteering
Our volunteers are the heart, soul and backbone of Sydney Living Museums – without their support, enthusiasm and energy, we couldn't do the work we do.
We offer a diverse mix of opportunities and roles for volunteers, which draw on a diverse range of skills and qualities.