Museum Volunteer opportunity: Hyde Park Barracks
Sydney Living Museums is transforming the Hyde Park Barracks to reveal an extraordinary new experience like no other in Australia.
We’re looking for a large team of volunteers to support this bold, new visitor experience when it opens in February 2020.
The Hyde Park Barracks is a UNESCO World Heritage site and one of the most significant convict sites in the world. The renewed museum will tell a significant part of Australia’s convict story and the site’s early role in immigration and institutional care. The museum will also focus on the impact of this place on Aboriginal culture and communities.
Combining tradition with cutting-edge technology, the Barracks will present a new way to journey through history. Led by ground breaking audio technology via a ‘Story Guide’, and with immersive activations over three storeys, the Barracks redefines the heritage experience.
Museum Volunteers at Hyde Park Barracks will help provide the human side of the visitor experience, playing a key role in making our visitors feel welcome, and assisting with wayfinding, queue management and being available for informal discussions with visitors wanting to reflect on the Story Guide experience. Museum Volunteers are ambassadors for Sydney Living Museums, letting visitors know how they can get the most out of their visit. Note that this role does not involve tour guiding.
- To be a Museum Volunteer you’ll have a friendly manner, great communication skills and enjoy interacting with people from a range of backgrounds and age groups. You'll be committed to providing great customer service and you'll know how to be flexible and work in a team.
- We’re looking for 50-60 volunteers at Hyde Park Barracks. We have vacancies for every day of the week.
- Expected shift times are 9:45am-1:45pm, 11am-3pm, 12pm-4pm
- Museum Volunteers fulfil at least 18 shifts per year. Volunteers can choose a shift pattern that is 'regular' (fortnightly on the same day and time) or 'flexible' (volunteers sign-up to shifts when they are available, usually with a few weeks' notice).
- Travel to shifts is via public transport as there is no parking available on site.
- Volunteers must have current Working with Children clearance. It’s free for volunteers - read the Help Sheet for how to apply.
- Shortlisted applicants will be invited for a brief face-to-face interview.
- Free Sydney Living Museums membership benefits including unlimited free entry to our 12 museums and historic houses, exclusive member-only events, retail and dining discounts, and much more!
- Volunteer-only events including social outings, our annual Volunteers’ Morning Tea recognition event in National Volunteer Week and volunteers’ Christmas party.
- Hyde Park Barracks volunteers will enjoy curator-led sessions to deepen knowledge about the museum’s stories.
- Volunteers who fulfil 12 months and meet their shift requirement will be able to receive a reference.
Download the full Role Description from this webpage to read more.
How to apply
Please complete the following steps:
Applications close 10am Monday 6 January 2020. Interviews will be held in January and Feb 2020 at a city location.
Email any enquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org
Role description & Working With Children Check Help Sheet
More about volunteering
Our volunteers are the heart, soul and backbone of Sydney Living Museums – without their support, enthusiasm and energy, we couldn't do the work we do.
We offer a diverse mix of opportunities and roles for volunteers, which draw on a diverse range of skills and qualities.