The Mint's First Resident Artist
Lisa Cooper is a Sydney-based artist and florist with a Doctorate of Philosophy in Fine Art from the College of Fine Arts, UNSW. Her work encompasses floral installations to hand-delivered flower gestures as well as sculpture and videos.
In all of Lisa’s work, there is a celebration of ‘composition in nature’ coupled with bold and often dramatic themes. Her stunning work has adorned the Museum of Contemporary Art, Sydney Theatre Company, Tiffany & Co. and graced the pages of Harper’s BAZAAR, Vogue Living, GRAZIA and Marie Claire. Her commissions include unique works for The National Gallery of Australia, The Prime Minister’s Office, The Australian Ballet, Omega and Deutsche Bank.
During her residency at The Mint, Dr Cooper will produce floral installations and artworks inspired by her research and creative response to our properties and collection.
// This competition has now closed //
To celebrate our first artist in residence at The Mint, we’re excited to launch our #InspiredByNature competition via Instagram, inviting you to create your own bouquet for a chance to win a custom made floral artwork by Dr Lisa Cooper and other great prizes!
Lisa’s work celebrates ‘composition in nature’ so we encourage you to think outside the box with your bouquets or bouquet-like creations using flowers and foliage or anything in your household like kitchen utensils or a combination of both!
The SLM team and Dr Lisa Cooper will be reviewing all the entries against the following criteria:
- Inspired by nature (whether it be within your home, backyard, local park etc)
- Creativity - let your creativity run free by using flowers, foliage or household items like utensils or a combination of these
- Inspiration - share the inspiration behind your bouquet with us
- Follow @sydlivmus and @doctorcooper on Instagram and all entries must include the tags @sydlivmus @doctorcooper #Governessofthegarden #DiscoverSLM
- 1st prize: Custom made bouquet sent to you from Dr Lisa Cooper
- 2nd prize: Copy of Dr Lisa Cooper’s ‘The Flowers’ book and an Erstwilder Sunshine of Life Gerbera Brooch
- 3rd prize: Copy of ‘The Florleigium’ book
- This competition has now closed.
A shortlist will be selected by the SLM team and Dr Lisa Cooper against the above criteria. The judge’s decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
Winners will be announced on @sydlivmus Instagram account including their Instagram handle and contacted via direct message mid-July.
In the event that for any reason the prize winner does not redeem their prize 5 days after contacted the prize is forfeited and will be re-allocated.
By entering this competition you give SLM and Dr Lisa Cooper permission to reshare your entry across our social media channels, email and website.
The Woolshed: a rude timber buildingTuesday 23 June 2020
The Woolshed at Rouse Hill Estate, constructed c. 1858, is an example of the type of ‘rude’ timber farm buildings that can be found throughout rural Australia. These building are usually uncomplicated structures, built using materials readily available and often have a naïve, simple character.