This silver cased half-hunter pocket watch, with Swiss hallmarks but engraved John Hulbert, London, is monogrammed with the initials of George Alan Terry (1871-1957) of the Box Hill estate near Windsor. George Terry received this watch for winning the two-mile Welter at the Bong Bong Picnic Races on his grey gelding Nihilist in January 1894. The pair also won the Ladies’ Bracelet and came third in the Ladies’ Mile. George was a dedicated horseman, competing at picnic races and as an amateur on metropolitan racecourses. Box Hill even had its own racecourse - greatly improved by George - where Nihilist and other horses were trained and sports days and race meetings were held. George was a keen sportsman, serving as president of the Rouse Hill Cricket Club and master of the Sydney Hunt Club. His improvements at Box Hill following his marriage to Nina Rouse in 1895 included a billiard room over the stables with a billiard table ‘regarded as one of the finest in the State’. His Maxwell motor car was ‘well known as the fastest car in the Windsor district’.