Caroline Simpson Library & Research Collection reopening
Frequently Asked Questions
When will you open?
The Caroline Simpson Library & Research Collection will reopen from 10am on Tuesday 2 June. Both reading rooms will be accessible to visitors.
What reading room services will be available?
Visitors will have access to regular services such as research assistance and access to reference and rare materials. You may access items on the regular reference shelves after washing your hands. Rare material will be brought to you upon request. You will be asked to place all books you access onto a trolley for quarantining (minimum 24 hours).
Will there be restrictions on numbers in the library?
We are currently allowing a maximum of 11 people, including library staff, in order to maintain safe physical distancing.
Can I come in at any time between 10am and 4 pm?
No. We ask visitors to book one of two daily sessions by email at email@example.com or telephone (8239 2233), 10am to 4pm, Tuesday to Friday.
- Morning session: 10am to 1pm
- Afternoon session: 1pm to 4pm
What do I do when I arrive at the Library for my booked session?
Let staff know at the downstairs library desk that you have arrived for your booking. Please observe guides on the floor of where to stand. Safe physical distancing of 1.5 metres must be maintained at all times, even if arriving at the Library with family or friends.
You will be asked to wash your hands or use hand sanitiser provided.
You will be asked to confirm your name and address and contact details, as required by NSW Health, to enable effective contact tracing if required — this information will only be used for that purpose and will be deleted after 28 days.
Why do I have to book?
The purpose of pre-booking is to manage our restricted capacity, so we can avoid the disappointment of people travelling to the Library and not being able to access services because it is full.
It will also allow us to collect visitor information, as required by NSW Health, to enable effective contact tracing if required — this information will only be used for that purpose and will be deleted after 28 days.
The purpose of having two sessions is to ensure that more people have the opportunity to use the Library and to enable the cleaning of surfaces in the reading rooms between each of the two sessions.
Can I book two people into the same session?
No. There is a limit of one person per booking.
What safety and hygiene measures are in place?
The health and safety of our staff, readers and visitors is always our top priority and we will be fully complying with NSW Health guidelines to protect everyone who comes through our doors.
- Hand hygiene facilities will be available at the entrance to the Library.
- Bathrooms will be well stocked with hand soap and hand dryers, and instructions on how to wash hands properly will be provided.
- Public hard surfaces in the reading rooms will be thoroughly cleaned between each session. Between each use, a computer’s keyboard and mouse will be cleaned.
- Physical distancing measures will be implemented, with queuing systems in place and signage clearly displayed.
- All readers will need to sit 1.5 metres from each other, as per NSW Health guidelines for libraries.
What we ask of our visitors.
- If you are feeling unwell, please do not enter the building.
- Readers and visitors exhibiting signs of illness will be asked to leave by Library staff.
- There is a limit of one person per booking per day.
- Safe physical distancing of 1.5 metres must be maintained at all times, even if arriving with family or friends.
- You must not move the location of desks or chairs; you may leave your desk to go to other areas, but you must return to the desk that you initially occupied.
- Readers and visitors who do not comply with physical distancing measures may be asked to leave by Library staff.
- You must exit the Library immediately at the end of your booked session so the reading rooms and other areas of the Library can be thoroughly cleaned.
See HERE for SLM's full conditions of entry