Lumberyard

Established about 1800, the first government lumberyard in Sydney, at the corner of George and Bridge streets, was the centre of convict industry. Convict carpenters, wheelwrights, tailors and shoemakers made equipment and clothing for the colony. Blacksmiths forged leg-irons, chains, and many of the tools used by other mechanics, such as masons cutting stone around Sydney, and timbergetters felling trees, sawing and splitting timber around the bush.