The supervision ratio is 1:10 for primary groups and 1:15 for secondary groups. Teachers and parents attend free of charge at these ratios. One carer per student with special needs will be admitted free of charge.
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
As they investigate the layered history of the Hyde Park Barracks, students apply the processes and methods of the historian and the archaeologist. They experience the different approaches to historical investigation by researching pictorial and written sources and examining archaeological artefacts to complete a historical inquiry into the lives of different groups of people who lived at the barracks.
During a simulated archaeological dig, students work in small groups to excavate an artefact, then categorise, weigh, measure, sketch and interpret it, and consider what it reveals about the history of the site.
Up to 20 Students: $190
Up to 40 Students: $370
Up to 60 Students: $550
Up to 80 Students: $725
Up to 100 Students: $865
Up to 120 Students: $1,010
Up to 140 Students: $1,080
Up to 160 Students: $1,155
CONFIRMATION, PAYMENT AND CANCELLATION
You can alter your booking numbers up until 7 days prior to your visit.
We will call you a week before your booking to confirm final numbers and requirements.
You will be invoiced for the full cost of your program a week prior to your booking.
Payment can be made by Credit Card, EFTPOS or cheque (payable to Historic Houses Trust of NSW).
Cancellations made within 7 days of a booking will incur the full cost for the program.
Cancellations made within 2 weeks of your visit will be invoiced for 50% of the total booking.
Cancellations must be made in writing.
Stage 4 History
The Ancient World
Depth Study 1: Investigating the Ancient Past
Key inquiry question:
How do we know about the ancient past?
HT4-1 Describes the nature of history and archaeology and explains their contribution to an understanding of the past
HT4-5 Identifies the meaning, purpose and context of historical sources
HT4-6 Uses evidence from sources to support historical narratives and explanations
HT4-8 Locates, selects and organises information from sources to develop an historical inquiry
Similar programs: Investigating History
Complementary programs: Contact and Colonisation
Plan Your Visit
- Please plan to arrive before the start time of your booked program to allow for cloaking, toilet visits and/or a refreshment break for the students. If you arrive late, some elements and activities may need to be cut from the program to keep to the scheduled finish time.
- Large groups will be divided up into smaller groups for activities in the museums.
- Bags, food and drinks are not permitted in the museums and cloaking facilities are provided.
- Photography policies vary between the museums so please ask a member of staff for details.
- Teachers and carers are required to remain with their groups at all times.
- Disciplining students remains the responsibility of teachers and carers accompanying the group.
- Please let us know before your visit if any of your students have special needs or learning difficulties so we can plan to accommodate their needs during the visit.