- Education Program
Investigating History (Stage 5)
The supervision ratio is 1:10 for primary groups and 1:15 for secondary groups. Teachers and parents attend free of charge at these ratios. One carer per student with special needs will be admitted free of charge.
Each additional visitor will be charged at the concession rate of $8.
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
This program has been designed to stimulate students’ interest in history and develop their ability to undertake the processes of historical inquiry through skills-based learning.
Students explore the displays at the Hyde Park Barracks Museum to examine bias in historical artworks and evaluate the reliability of a range of sources. They also participate in an investigation focusing on a period during which the barracks was used to house immigrant and destitute women (1848–86), using both archival records and archaelogical artefacts to answer an inquiry question. This is an opportunity to interpret history within the context of the actions, values, attitudes and motives of people in the past.
Investigating History (Stage 5) is a one-hour program designed to accommodate large groups of students.
Up to 20 Students: $190
Up to 40 Students: $370
Up to 60 Students: $550
Up to 80 Students: $725
Up to 100 Students: $865
Up to 120 Students: $1,010
Up to 140 Students: $1,080
Up to 160 Students: $1,155
CONFIRMATION, PAYMENT AND CANCELLATION
You can alter your booking numbers up until 7 days prior to your visit.
We will call you a week before your booking to confirm final numbers and requirements.
You will be invoiced for the full cost of your program a week prior to your booking.
Payment can be made by Credit Card, EFTPOS or cheque (payable to Historic Houses Trust of NSW).
Cancellations made within 7 days of a booking will incur the full cost for the program.
Cancellations made within 2 weeks of your visit will be invoiced for 50% of the total booking.
Cancellations must be made in writing.
This is a program for students in Stage 5 History which integrates skills and concepts from the NSW Syllabus for the Australian Curriculum K–10.
Stage 5 History
Analysis and use of sources
process and synthesise information from a range of sources as evidence in an historical argument
evaluate the reliability and usefulness of primary and secondary sources for a specific historical inquiry
Perspectives and interpretations
identify and analyse the reasons for different perspectives in a historical context
interpret history within the context of actions, values, attitudes and motives of people in the context of the past
Continuity and change
Complementary program: The Pyjama Girl Murder: A Case Study
Plan Your Visit
- Please plan to arrive before the start time of your booked program to allow for cloaking, toilet visits and/or a refreshment break for the students. If you arrive late, some elements and activities may need to be cut from the program to keep to the scheduled finish time.
- Large groups will be divided up into smaller groups for activities in the museums.
- Bags, food and drinks are not permitted in the museums and cloaking facilities are provided.
- Photography policies vary between the museums so please ask a member of staff for details.
- Teachers and carers are required to remain with their groups at all times.
- Disciplining students remains the responsibility of teachers and carers accompanying the group.
- Please let us know before your visit if any of your students have special needs or learning difficulties so we can plan to accommodate their needs during the visit.
Temporary closure of Hyde Park Barracks Museum
The UNESCO World Heritage-listed Hyde Park Barracks will be closed during terms 1–3 in 2019 for a major renewal project. The museum will reopen in late 2019. A suite of exciting new education programs will be available from Term 1, 2020.