- Education Program
Now and then
The supervision ratio is 1:10 for primary groups and 1:15 for secondary groups. Teachers and parents attend free of charge at these ratios. One carer per student with special needs will be admitted free of charge.
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
As students are guided through the property, they discover that the Macarthurs and their hardworking servants lived without the benefits of running water, bathrooms, electricity, appliances or paved roads. They experience what it was like to do the laundry by hand, see what’s growing in the kitchen garden and discuss seasonal eating and life without supermarkets. They also practise writing with a quill pen and ink by signing their name on a bookplate which they take home.
They explore the colonial kitchen to observe how different it is from their own kitchens at home. How did the cook keep food fresh without a fridge, and how were foods preserved?
In the drawing room students investigate how the Macarthur family and their guests relaxed and amused themselves, and how the servants were summoned. How was the house kept cool in summer and heated in winter? Why was Mr Macarthur’s bed so high, and where was the toilet hidden? In the pleasure garden, students play 19th-century children’s games including hoops, skittles, quoits, and cup and ball.
Prepare your group for a visit with an 'Excursion Introduction' listed under Resources. These introductions are suitable for teachers of children with ASD in integrated classrooms.
Up to 20 Students: $190
Up to 40 Students: $370
Up to 60 Students: $550
Up to 80 Students: $725
Up to 100 Students: $865
Up to 120 Students: $1,010
Up to 140 Students: $1,080
Up to 160 Students: $1,155
CONFIRMATION, PAYMENT AND CANCELLATION
You can alter your booking numbers up until 7 days prior to your visit.
We will call you a week before your booking to confirm final numbers and requirements.
You will be invoiced for the full cost of your program a week prior to your booking.
Payment can be made by Credit Card, EFTPOS or cheque (payable to Historic Houses Trust of NSW).
Cancellations made within 7 days of a booking will incur the full cost for the program.
Cancellations made within 2 weeks of your visit will be invoiced for 50% of the total booking.
Cancellations must be made in writing.
Stage 1 History
Present and Past Family Life
Key inquiry question:
- How has family life changed or remained the same over time?
HT1-1 Communicates an understanding of change and continuity in family life using appropriate historical terms
HT1-4 Demonstrates skills of historical inquiry and communication
The Past in the Present
Key inquiry questions:
- What aspects of the past can you see today?
- How have changes in technology shaped our daily life?
HT1-2 Identifies and describes significant people, events, places and sites in the local community over time
HT1-3 Describes the effects of changing technology on people’s lives over time
Plan Your Visit
- Please plan to arrive before the start time of your booked program to allow for cloaking, toilet visits and/or a refreshment break for the students. If you arrive late, some elements and activities may need to be cut from the program to keep to the scheduled finish time.
- Large groups will be divided up into smaller groups for activities in the museums.
- Bags, food and drinks are not permitted in the museums and cloaking facilities are provided.
- Photography policies vary between the museums so please ask a member of staff for details.
- Teachers and carers are required to remain with their groups at all times.
- Disciplining students remains the responsibility of teachers and carers accompanying the group.
- Please let us know before your visit if any of your students have special needs or learning difficulties so we can plan to accommodate their needs during the visit.