Eleanor Wingate (1813-1898) was the seventh child of Richard Rouse (1774-1852, early Hawkesbury settler and colonial government employee, and his wife Elizabeth Adams (1772-1849). Eleanor’s earliest years were spent at Parramatta where her father was an auctioneer and Superintendent of Government Works but her young womanhood was spent at Rouse Hill, a house her father began building in 1813. This house became the centre of the Rouse family estates. Eleanor married twice, first in 1831 to John Terry (1806-1842) of Box Hill, step-son of Samuel Terry, an emancipist merchant landowner known in his day as the 'Botany Bay Rothschild'. Her second marriage, in 1856, was to Major Thomas Wingate (1807-1869), a retired English army officer who arrived in Sydney from India around 1850. In 1854 he was commissioned as Major commanding the 1st New South Wales Rifle Volunteers. The Wingates lived in a mansion called Percy Lodge in Potts Point, Sydney, a house owned by Eleanor which served as a city rendezvous for Eleanor’s children and the extended Terry and Rouse families. In this photograph Eleanor is wearing a mourning brooch containing a portrait miniature of her mother Elizabeth.