How Cities Work: opening event
The exhibition explores the inner workings of the modern city, developed in collaboration with illustrator James Gulliver Hancock. It is adapted from the bestselling book How Cities Work from Lonely Planet Kids.
Join us in a day of fun activities inspired by the exhibition that will engage the whole family.
Activities on the museum forecourt:
- Roll up your sleeves and join in a giant street chalk drawing activity inspired by the urban environment.
- Contribute to a large-scale cardboard city that will be limited only by your imagination. You can design and build a skyscraper, a house or school, then add your creations and watch the cardboard city grow.
- Watch James Gulliver Hancock create his signature illustrations.
- Meet NSW Police Force Officers and take a look inside a real police car!
- Enjoy parkour performances by Jump Squad at 11am and 1pm.
- Have a dance as ABC KIDS listen spin tunes on the forecourt.
Activities inside the museum:
- Enjoy free entry to the Museum of Sydney during the event hours of 10am-2pm.
- Pick up a Kid’s Trail and get exploring (available at front desk)
- Watch a selection of Lonely Planet Kids films inspired by cities (Warrane Theatre, Level 1)
- Create a 3D museum building illustrated by James Gulliver Hancock (Viewing Cube craft table, Level 2)
- Be among the first to get a glimpse of the How Cities Work exhibition - limited capacity (Level 2)
Food & drink:
- Indulge in a sweet treat from the Gelato Man.
- Pack snacks from home or enjoy a selection of light food options and drinks from the Pomelo + Co coffee cart.
Please note: food is not permitted inside the museum.
- This event has limited capacity and is now booked out - unfortunately we cannot accommodate additional visitors.
- When you registered for this event, you chose your session start time of 10am or 12pm. You can arrive any time after your session begins. The event finishes at 2pm.
- Event activities run from 10am–2pm on the Museum of Sydney forecourt.
- Entry to Museum of Sydney will be free during the event hours of 10am – 2pm.
- The How Cities Work exhibition has limited capacity and entry to the exhibition will be controlled to ensure the safety of our visitors.
- As this event takes place outside, we recommend that you wear a hat and sunscreen.
This free event is booked out
Additional visitors cannot be accommodated