The biscuit factory, Camperdown

For over 100 years the biscuit factory in Camperdown was one of the sweetest smelling icons of Sydney’s industrial age.

The factory baked its first biscuits in 1891. It continued to bake as Australia’s Weston Biscuit Company into the 21st century until pressure from the inner-city real estate boom and changing community attitudes led to the factory’s closure. The last wagon wheel rolled off the assembly line in late February 2004.

In the final months of the factory’s operation, photographers Peter Campbell and Murray Fredericks documented its architectural spaces and sculptural machines, the hands-on processing and, importantly, the factory community.

The biscuit factory, Camperdown tells the story of this inner-city factory, its people and production processes, at the end of an era.

10 September 2007 - 2 December 2007
19°  Rain