About the Foundation
Why do we need philanthropic support?
Sydney Living Museums is the State’s most active and experienced heritage institution and the Foundation plays a crucial role in helping SLM to engage with those who have a passion for the outstanding work done by SLM in maintaining, interpreting and managing NSW heritage sites.
Donations and financial gifts help us to invest in our 12 historic houses and museums, grow our collections and preserve the heritage and history of colonial Australia. Sydney Living Museums connects our past, present and future through our historic and heritage houses and museums, not only showcasing an historic sense of place, but being part of a contemporary and vibrant future. Funds raised by the Foundation are applied to different purposes including:
- Specific projects to maintain and interpret the 12 heritage houses and museums, for example, the replacement of the 19th century drapery at Vaucluse House.
- Acquisition of important and rare items for collections.
- Acquisition and support for the Caroline Simpson Library & Research Collection, Australia’s leading research collection of the history of the Australian house, interiors and gardens. The Caroline Simpson Library & Research Collection was made possible through an extraordinarily generous gift by her four children.
- Unique research projects - for example, The Dowling Music Project.
- Education programs - for example, Unlocking Heritage.
- Exhibitions and public programs.
If you would like to find out more about how you can support Sydney Living Museums in a variety of ways, please call our Head of Development and Fundraising, Joy England +612 8239 2433 or email email@example.com
Edward Simpson (Chair)
Reformed lawyer, actor, pianist, and investor
Edward Simpson (BA, LLB Syd Uni) has been an active member of the Sydney Living Museums Foundation since 2008, firstly as a committee member and now as Chair.
A trained lawyer, Edward has also worked professionally as an actor and musician, occasional film producer, and now investor. With his three siblings, Edward donated his mother, Caroline Simpson’s remarkable collection of early Australiana to Sydney Living Museums in 2015.
This generous gift has served as the cornerstone for establishing Australia’s leading interiors and gardens library and is named the Caroline Simpson Library & Research Collection, in her memory, recognising the importance of the gift by her children.
Edward shares his passion for the preservation, conservation, curation and dissemination of Australia’s cultural history and heritage, through his role as Chair of Foundation, A strong advocate for Sydney Living Museums, Edward proudly works with donors and partners to educate, share and promote the important work of Sydney Living Museums.
Director at Bank of America Merrill Lynch in Sydney
Lawyer and the former Chief Executive Partner of Allens
Principal of Fourfold Design
Foundation Emeritus Council
Company director, Beat Knoblauch & Associates
Clive Lucas OBE
Heritage architect & director, Clive Lucas Stapleton & Partners
Prof Howard Tanner
Architect and director, Tanner Architects