- Education Program
The supervision ratio is 1:10 for primary groups and 1:15 for secondary groups. Teachers and parents attend free of charge at these ratios. One carer per student with special needs will be admitted free of charge.
Each additional visitor will be charged at the concession rate of $12.
About the program
During this hands-on archaeology program, students use artefacts – including the building – to investigate the layered history of the Hyde Park Barracks and the people who lived there during the 19th century.
Throughout this program students will:
- Excavate, analyse, record and interpret a range of authentic artefacts
- Use physical and documentary evidence to answer an inquiry question
- Think critically about archaeology and what it can tell them about human experience
Students will undertake a historical inquiry into the lives of female immigrants, applying the processes and methods of both the historian and the archaeologist to draw their own conclusions about both physical and documentary evidence.
The program also includes a simulated archaeological dig in our purpose built trenches. During this activity students work in small groups to excavate, categorise, weigh, measure, sketch and then interpret an artefact.
Some of the fascinating archaeology your students will see during the program:
Up to 20 Students: $282
Up to 40 Students: $564
Up to 60 Students: $846
Up to 80 Students: $1128
Up to 100 Students: $1410
Up to 120 Students: $1,692
Up to 140 Students: $1,974
Up to 160 Students: $2,256
CONFIRMATION, PAYMENT AND CANCELLATION
You can alter your booking numbers up until 7 days prior to your visit.
We will call you a week before your booking to confirm final numbers and requirements.
You will be invoiced for the full cost of your program a week prior to your booking.
Payment can be made by Credit Card, EFTPOS or cheque (payable to Historic Houses Trust of NSW).
Cancellations made within 7 days of a booking will incur the full cost for the program.
Cancellations made within 2 weeks of your visit will be invoiced for 50% of the total booking.
Cancellations must be made in writing.
Stage 4 History
The Ancient World
Depth Study 1: Investigating the Ancient Past
Key inquiry question:
How do we know about the ancient past?
HT4-1 Describes the nature of history and archaeology and explains their contribution to an understanding of the past
HT4-5 Identifies the meaning, purpose and context of historical sources
HT4-6 Uses evidence from sources to support historical narratives and explanations
HT4-8 Locates, selects and organises information from sources to develop an historical inquiry
Similar programs: Investigating History
Complementary programs: Contact and Colonisation
Plan Your Visit
- Please plan to arrive before the start time of your booked program to allow for cloaking, toilet visits and/or a refreshment break for the students. If you arrive late, some elements and activities may need to be cut from the program to keep to the scheduled finish time.
- Large groups will be divided up into smaller groups for activities in the museums.
- Bags, food and drinks are not permitted in the museums and cloaking facilities are provided.
- Photography policies vary between the museums so please ask a member of staff for details.
- Teachers and carers are required to remain with their groups at all times.
- Disciplining students remains the responsibility of teachers and carers accompanying the group.
- Please let us know before your visit if any of your students have special needs or learning difficulties so we can plan to accommodate their needs during the visit.
Hyde Park Barracks
Hyde Park Barracks
Phone 02 8239 2211