Meroogal Women’s Art Prize 2020
Female artists from across NSW are invited to submit works, in any medium, that respond to the historic house of Meroogal, its former occupants, and its meaning within broader historical and contemporary contexts. Selected artworks will be displayed and photographed throughout the property, throwing new light on the personal stories of the people who once lived there, and the rich collection of objects that are still contained within the house.
The Meroogal Women’s Art Prize is a regional, non-acquisitive competition and exhibition. It is open to a work in any medium made by a woman aged 18 years or over who is a resident of NSW.
This year, SLM is waiving the artist entry fee to make the prize as accessible as possible at a time when support and kindness are most needed.
Entries close at 4pm on Monday 3 August 2020.
Artworks selected for display in the exhibition will be installed and photographed throughout the house, gardens and grounds.
For 2020, due to the uncertainty surrounding the opening of museums in NSW and elsewhere, the exhibition will be presented online in the form of an e-catalogue. This will launch on Thursday 22 October 2020 when the prize winners are announced. We hope to be able to provide onsite access to the exhibition if Meroogal reopens to visitors before Saturday 29 May 2021.
- 1st Prize: $7000, SLM Membership, and a Bundanon Trust artist-in-residence scholarship*
- 2nd Prize: $3000 and SLM Membership
- Highly Commended Award: SLM Membership and solo exhibition opportunity at Shoalhaven Regional Gallery, Nowra**
- People’s Choice Award: $500 and SLM Membership (to be announced at the close of the exhibition)
* The two-week residency must be taken between July and December 2021.
** Shoalhaven Regional Gallery, Nowra, will provide an encouragement award for a highly commended artist consisting of a solo show at the gallery in 2021–22, with the exact time to be arranged in discussion with the artist. The award will consist of an exhibition in one of the community galleries with the total value being up to $1300.
- Entries close Monday 3 August 2020 at 4pm.
- Artists selected for exhibition will be notified by Friday 28 August 2020.
- Artwork delivery dates: Thursday 10 September 2020 or Saturday 12 September 2020, between 10am and 3pm.
- Judging: Friday 18 September 2020.
- Prize winners announced and e-catalogue launched: Thursday 22 October 2020.
- Exhibition dates: Thursday 22 October 2020 – Saturday 29 May 2021.