Meroogal Women's Art Prize 2022
Female artists from across NSW are invited to submit works, in any medium, that respond to the historic house of Meroogal, its former occupants, and its meaning within broader historical and contemporary contexts. Selected artworks will be displayed and photographed throughout the property, throwing new light on the personal stories of the people who once lived there, and the rich collection of objects that are still contained within the house.
The Meroogal Women’s Art Prize is a regional, non-acquisitive competition and exhibition. It is open to a work in any medium made by a woman aged 18 years or over who is a resident of NSW. This year, Sydney Living Museums is waiving the artist entry fee.
Entries close at 4pm on Tuesday 2 August 2022.
Artworks selected for display in the exhibition will be on display to the public from Saturday 17 September 2022 to Saturday 22 April 2023.
Prize money kindly funded by SLM Foundation:
- 1st Prize: $7000, a Bundanon artist-in-residence scholarship,* and a Sydney Living Museums membership
- 2nd Prize: $1500, a solo exhibition at the Shoalhaven Regional Gallery, Nowra, including an opening event, and a Sydney Living Museums membership
- Highly Commended Award: $1500 and a Sydney Living Museums membership
- People’s Choice Award: $500 and a Sydney Living Museums membership (to be announced at the close of the exhibition)
* The timing and duration of the residency to be determined in negotiation with Bundanon.
The judges for this year’s prize are:
- Bronwyn Coulston, Manager – Arts & Culture, Shoalhaven City Council
- Rachel Kent, CEO, Bundanon
- Rebecca Bushby, Director, Audience & Creative Production, Sydney Living Museums
- Janet Laurence, artist
- Entries close Tuesday 2 August 2022 at 4pm.
- Artists selected for exhibition will be notified by Monday 29 August 2022.
- Artwork delivery dates: Thursday 8 September and Saturday 10 September 2022 between 10am and 3pm.
- Judging: Friday 16 September 2022.
- Prize winners announced and exhibition launched: Saturday 17 September 2022.
- Exhibition dates: Saturday 17 September 2022 – Saturday 22 April 2023.
Address for delivery and collection of works:
Corner West and Worrigee streets
Nowra NSW 2541
Joanna Nicholas, Curator