The Convict Sleepover is an immersive experience where children can live the life of a convict exactly where they were 200 years ago as well as discover the culture of the local Cadigal people. In this program students explore the Royal Botanic Garden Sydney with Aboriginal Education Officers providing a personal perspective of how indigenous people of the Sydney area used plants for food, medicine, tools and weapons, learn about the convicts that came through the Barracks, eat convict fare, participate in convict games and then sleep in the hammocks where convicts slept.
For many of these children it will be their first opportunity to visit Sydney, allowing them to broaden their horizons and create new aspirations that will shape their future.
If your organisation has a Matched Giving Program, you can support us through Good2Give using the keyword 'convict'.
Quick facts about the Convict Sleepover
This program was originally part of the Unlocking Heritage two year pilot project launched in 2015. In that time:
- $300,000 was provided by the Unlocking Heritage Convict Sleepover Project between 2015 and 2017
- 100 eligible NSW rural schools made use of the funding
- 3,000 children & their teachers slept in the convict hammocks
- 6,000 sausages were served for dinner
- 500 children didn’t want to eat their peas
- 2,000 children saw the Harbour Bridge for the first time
It felt awesome to be sleeping in the same spot where convicts were sleeping hundreds of years ago!
Year 5 student, Mittagong PS
We got a really good dinner and breakfast.
Year 2 student, Dungog PS
It was great. I can now imagine what life was like for a convict.
Year 5 student, E.A.Southee PS.
I really enjoyed the museum I was excited to go in there it was my first time. Thank you.
Year 3 student, Nowra East Public School
Direct Deposit to Sydney Living Museum Foundation:
Please email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org to notify the Foundation and ensure you receive a tax deduction receipt.
Thank you for your gift.
- Giving these children their first and possibly only chance to visit Sydney and take part in a ‘once in a lifetime’ educational and social experience.
- Logo and acknowledgement on the Convict Sleepover Corporate Sponsors and Schools web pages.
- Acknowledgement of your support to the participating school, and the opportunity to meet the students and teachers while they are on their convict sleepover.
- Feedback from the school about their convict sleepover experience.
- Opportunity to develop a long term partnership with Sydney Living Museums and its programs.
We will also work with you to find the right school to benefit from your generous support.
My favourite part was learning about convicts and how their life was like. PS I will never forget it.
You can donate by completing this form, calling 02 8239 2433 or emailing email@example.com