For well over 100 years, Hong Kong House has been a central feature in the cityscape and development of Sydney. A beautiful example of Victorian architecture, the building’s ornate facade gives it a special place in the city’s cultural and heritage landscape. Hong Kong House occupies a prominent site at the corner of Druitt and York Streets, adjacent to two of central Sydney’s most important landmarks – the Town Hall and the Queen Victoria Building.
Constructed in 1891 to a design by architect Ambrose Thornley, the building was originally named Central Hotel, and became the Gresham Hotel in 1906. For much of its life it was a hotel, with a banking chamber on the ground floor of the York Street frontage. The building was converted to office suites in the late 1980s, and purchased by the Hong Kong Government in the mid-1990s, when it became a home for the Hong Kong Economic and Trade Office, the Hong Kong Trade Development Council and the Hong Kong Tourism Board.
Ground floor function room, first floor boardroom, fifth floor conference room and balcony.