With its palazzo-like street front and elaborately decorated Adam Revival interiors, the NSW Masonic Club is an exceptional example of Beaux-Arts Classicism.
Construction on the building began in 1926. Officially opened on 12 September 1927, it was at the time the first reinforced concrete building of its kind in Sydney and the city’s tallest building, standing 12 floors high.
A program of restoration and refurbishment was undertaken in the 1990s. This included the Grand Dining Room, where metal plates, installed during the war to conceal the windows, had to be removed. Today the heritage building still provides both traditional club facilities and accommodation and retains many of the original features and furniture, with memorabilia displayed throughout the building. The foyers and corridors feature very fine timber joinery.
Other original features include the boardroom, library, billiard and card rooms and the main bar. The building was heritage-listed in 1980.
Foyer, Cellos dining room, Adam room, and the original 1927 Board Room.
Talks, tours & more
Food & drink available
No ramps at the front steps due to the heritage nature of the building.