A landmark building of the Federation Skyscraper Gothic style, The Grace Hotel on York Street was originally designed by architects Morrow & Gordon, and built by Kell & Rigby in the late 1920s. It was modelled on Chicago’s Tribune Tower, pioneer of Skyscraper Gothic (and home to the Chicago Tribune), and embodied the Art Deco style with state-of-the-art facilities.
The building opened in 1930 as the Grace Brothers headquarters, with two levels for its flagship department store, and the rest as office space for the company and other soft-goods merchants. During World War II it became the Sydney headquarters of the US armed forces, and in 1945 it was compulsorily acquired by the Commonwealth Government.
The building was purchased in 1995 by Malaysia’s Low Yat Group for redevelopment as a 382-room hotel. In the extensive renovation, many original features were restored, including elevators and stairwells, ornate pressed-metal ceilings and marble floors, grand hallways, elegant ironwork and light fittings. Ever since reopening as a luxury hotel in June 1997, it has been affectionately known as ‘The Grace Sydney’. The Grace Building was listed on the NSW State Heritage Register in 1999.
Lobby, Atrium, Mezzanine, Level 1 and The Penthouse.
Talks, tours & more
Food & drink available
Access to level 11 Alkira Terrace & rooftop is by stairs that cannot be bypassed by ramp or lift.