Financed with 45,000 gallons of rum, Governor Macquarie’s ‘Rum Hospital’ provided 200 beds for convict patients. Today the Mint houses Sydney Living Museums' head office, venue hire spaces, a restaurant and café, and is also home to the Caroline Simpson Library & Research Collection.
In line with recent NSW Government announcements, all Sydney Living Museums properties will close to the public from Saturday 26 June until further notice to help protect the health of all visitors and staff and minimise the spread of COVID-19. For more information visit our COVID update page.
Functioning 1816-1842 as the south wing of the General ‘Rum’ Hospital for convicts, the site later provided an infirmary and dispensary for poor people.
Open for business in 1855, the Sydney Royal Mint was the first overseas branch of London’s Royal Mint where 1200 tonnes of colonial gold were minted into 150 million sovereigns.
Courts & Offices
Between 1926 and 1997 almost 20 different government departments and law courts came and went from the Mint buildings.
Heritage site & SLM Head Office
Integrating new and heritage buildings, historic structures and archaeological elements, the site today houses our head office, venue hire spaces, a restaurant and café, and is also home to the Caroline Simpson Library & Research Collection.
The latest at The Mint
NIDA students in costume at the Barracks & The MintTuesday 14 August 2018
NIDA costume design students were seen modelling the costumes that they designed at Hyde Park Barracks Museum and The Mint.
When the Sydney Mint’s Coining Factory opened in May 1855 it contained the most cutting-edge technology in the colony. The building itself was equally innovative. Made of prefabricated cast-iron components, it was shipped in pieces to Sydney, where it could be quickly assembled.