We value the contribution that interns make to our work and are committed to providing opportunities for students to develop personally and professionally in a supportive environment.
Sydney Living Museums internships are usually project-based and allow students to gain an insight into the elements of one or more projects. Interns may work in core museum areas such as exhibition content development and interpretation, collection cataloguing, heritage and research, marketing, or event coordination. Interns may also undertake a placement in corporate services work areas such as information technology, finance or human resources.
Participation in all Sydney Living Museums internships requires that the student’s insurance be covered by their educational institution. Internships at Sydney Living Museums run for 20-30 days depending on the needs of the project and those of the student’s educational institution and assessment requirements.
For inquiries about SLM's internship program, please contact:
Audience development officer – volunteers & interns
T 02 8239 2441
You can also keep updated about any future internship opportunities.
My internship proved to be very interesting and fulfilling. I had access to great equipment and fantastic content to film ... and I had the chance to work one-on-one with some brilliant SLM staff and freelance professionals.
Georgia, Web & Screen Media intern
- Sydney Living Museums develops new internship projects across a range of disciplines based on current business needs and projects. These are offered twice per year to coincide with the academic semester of many educational institutions. Semester 1 internships are usually open for applications around late February each year, and Semester 2 internships are usually open around late July each year.
- We provide a Project Outline for each new internship and the application process includes an interview for shortlisted candidates. Sydney Living Museums welcomes applications from a wide range of universities and colleges.
- Please note that while we welcome enquiries about our internship program throughout the year, unfortunately we are not able to develop internship projects in response to individual requests or outside of our internships schedule. You are however most welcome to send us your ideas for internship projects, topics or subjects you'd like Sydney Living Museums to offer.
- Our internships generally run for 10-12 weeks on a 2-3 days per week basis
- Our internships are unpaid and are available to students undertaking relevant courses at Australian educational institutions. Potential applicants should note that any required accommodation and/or travel should be funded by the student
- Students wishing to apply for one of our internships must meet ALL of the following criteria:
- You must be currently enrolled in a relevant course at a recognised Australian tertiary educational institution.
- Your educational institution must provide endorsement for you to undertake the internship and provide insurance cover.
- Applicants should note that preference will be given to students enrolled in educational institutions in NSW.
- At this time, we are not able to accept internship applications from students enrolled at institutions outside Australia.
How to apply
You can apply for internship projects which are currently advertised. To apply, see the Current Opportunities section below. Click on the project that interests you and read the Project Outline. You must then submit the following by the relevant deadline:
- A Letter of Interest, outlining why you are interested in the internship and why you would be best suited to the project. This is the main part of your application and it should address the 'project description' and 'skills required' sections of the Project Outline.
- Your CV including grades for completed units of study
- A completed Student Information Form (Word.doc)
Note that if you want to apply for more than one project you must submit a separate application for each project
Applications are now open for internship projects at Sydney Living Museums for semester 1 2017. Click on the links below to read more about each internship, and read the guidance above on How to Apply.
Note that application deadlines vary between projects.