Conservation in action: Rum Hospital's verandah and columns

BY MICHAEL ELLIS AND MARIA ELENA RUGGERI THURSDAY 9 SEPTEMBER 2021

 

Structural repairs and conservation of the timber verandah and columns of the former ‘Rum Hospital’

This building was constructed between 1811 and 1816 as the south wing of the general hospital (known as the ‘Rum Hospital’). Along with the central block of NSW Parliament House (the north wing of the former hospital), it is the oldest surviving public building in Sydney. The simple, symmetrical two-storey design has a colonnaded verandah on both levels. The ground floor verandah and columns were constructed of stone and the first-floor verandah and columns of timber.

Originally providing residential quarters for the assistant surgeon and other staff, the building was later converted with a formal arrangement of additional buildings around a central secure courtyard into the Sydney Branch of the Royal Mint (1854-1926). The Mint site is now the headquarters of Sydney Living Museums.

The building has undergone alterations during its long history. In the late 1970s it was restored by the Government Architect’s Branch Historic Buildings Group. The conservation works included the replacement of the stone columns on the ground-floor verandah and the timber verandah and columns on the first floor. The chinoiserie timber lattice balustrade was also reconstructed, based on documentary and physical evidence.

As part of Sydney Living Museums’ capital maintenance program, structural repairs to and conservation of the timber verandah and columns are underway. This important heritage work will include the replacement of the column on the south-west corner, the repair of deteriorated column and verandah sections, and the repainting of all columns with a traditional linseed ‘sand paint’. This type of paint was traditionally used in the late 19th century to simulate the appearance of stone.
 

About the Author

Man in suit and tie in front of wall.
Michael Ellis
Head of Heritage
Michael Ellis was awarded a Master of Heritage Conservation with Honours and a Bachelor of Design in Architecture from the University of Sydney and has more than 20 years of experience in the fields of architecture, planning, museums, place-making and heritage conservation.

About the Author

Woman in yellow vest.
Maria Elena Ruggeri
Senior Heritage Project Officer
Maria Elena is the Senior Heritage Project Officer, Capital Works at Sydney Living Museums. While studying, Maria Elena developed a...

More heritage & conservation news

View of house across lawn.

Conservation

Conservation in action: Vaucluse House turretsThursday 23 July 2020

Group of children in school uniform looking at objects on display.

Conservation

Projects funded at Museum of Sydney and Hyde Park BarracksThursday 16 August 2018

The Hyde Park Barracks Museum and the site of the first Government House at the Museum of Sydney were successful in securing grants in this year’s Protecting National Historic Sites program.

Crane and scaffolding with Sydney Tower in background.

Conservation

Roof repairs at Hyde Park BarracksFriday 6 May 2016

This week we've had some scaffolding around the Hyde Park Barracks Museum to allow access to the roof for minor repairs, repainting and re-pointing.

Man on ladder painting wooden house.

Conservation

Sprucing up at MeroogalThursday 4 June 2015

The back wing at Meroogal is being painted and will soon be looking lovely and fresh.

Conservation

They sawed the furniture in halfTuesday 10 February 2015

As anyone who has lived in a terrace house knows getting large pieces of furniture upstairs can be a frustratingly hard and sometimes hazardous exercise.