- Learning Program
Investigating Convict History
The supervision ratio is 1:10 for primary groups and 1:15 for secondary groups. Teachers and parents attend free of charge at these ratios. One carer per student with special needs will be admitted free of charge.
Each additional visitor will be charged at the concession rate of $12.
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
Students discover historical evidence by exploring the World Heritage-listed Hyde Park Barracks and examining a range of historical sources. Students learn about the convict period by handling objects and exploring displays in the newly refurbished museum.
Students discuss artworks as historical sources; there is time to rest in a convict hammock and hear individual stories about the convicts who lived at the barracks, helping them to develop their skills of empathetic understanding.
Investigating Convict History is a one-hour program designed to accommodate large groups of students.
Up to 20 Students: $210
Up to 40 Students: $420
Up to 60 Students: $630
Up to 80 Students: $840
Up to 100 Students: $1,050
Up to 120 Students: $1,260
Up to 140 Students: $1,470
Up to 160 Students: $1,680
CONFIRMATION, PAYMENT AND CANCELLATION
You can alter your booking numbers up until 7 days prior to your visit.
We will call you a week before your booking to confirm final numbers and requirements.
You will be invoiced for the full cost of your program a week prior to your booking.
Payment can be made by Credit Card, EFTPOS or cheque (payable to Historic Houses Trust of NSW).
Cancellations made within 7 days of a booking will incur the full cost for the program.
Cancellations made within 2 weeks of your visit will be invoiced for 50% of the total booking.
Cancellations must be made in writing.
History - stage 2
HT2-4 Describes and explains effects of British colonisation in Australia
HT2-5 Applies skills of historical inquiry and communication
Complementary Stage 2 programs: Whose Place?; Colonial Life at Elizabeth Farm
Plan Your Visit
- Please plan to arrive before the start time of your booked program to allow for cloaking, toilet visits and/or a refreshment break for the students. If you arrive late, some elements and activities may need to be cut from the program to keep to the scheduled finish time.
- Large groups will be divided up into smaller groups for activities in the museums.
- Bags, food and drinks are not permitted in the museums and cloaking facilities are provided.
- Photography policies vary between the museums so please ask a member of staff for details.
- Teachers and carers are required to remain with their groups at all times.
- Disciplining students remains the responsibility of teachers and carers accompanying the group.
- Please let us know before your visit if any of your students have special needs or learning difficulties so we can plan to accommodate their needs during the visit.
Hyde Park Barracks
Hyde Park Barracks
Phone 02 8239 2211