Ballarat House is a significant heritage-listed warehouse building, built soon after the construction of Wentworth Avenue, in 1916. The building has been adapted to create a memorable workplace environment, revealing the original timber-framed structure and providing surprising views out to the city through large-scale timber windows.
Built as a four-storey building in 1916 with an additional floor added in 1924, Ballarat House originally housed clothing manufacturers and tailors. A robust example of the early-20th-century warehouse type, the building is listed by City of Sydney as a heritage item.
A new mezzanine floor has been added within the lofty roof volume on level 5, made possible by a pop-up roof addition. A new roof terrace at mezzanine level opens up views south-west towards Central Station and beyond.
Visitors will have the opportunity to see an excellent example of the creative adaptation of a characterful warehouse building. The new works expose and celebrate the original timber construction and roof structure, the ceiling following the rake of the roof while the now-exposed timber roof struts set out a rhythm for the overall layout. Clerestory windows and large openings off the roof terrace coupled with generous voids provide natural light and ventilation into the centre of the floor plate to create a memorable new workplace environment.
Philip Thalis is a well known architect , director of Hill Thalis, current City Councillor, Professor of Practice at UNSW and former HHT Trustee.
Building owner and project manager.
Ballarat House's involvement in Sydney Open has been made possible by Moruben Nominees PL, Beach Constructions & Partridge Partners.