View of the old schoolhouse  Photograph © Miller, Stuart and Richardson, Haley

Welcome to Rouse Hill House & Farm

Looking out over the paddocks and across to the mountains, this house and farm have been owned by six generations of one family. Through the good times and the bad, each generation has added another layer of belongings, improvements and memories, and today, every object and addition, every tear, stain and repair has a story to tell. With its grand stables and prize horses, orchards and elegant summerhouse, Rouse Hill House was once the social hub of the area. And although the estate was later subdivided as the family fortunes waned, the house and its stories still draw people to its door. Today Rouse Hill House & Farm also features the restored 1888 Rouse Hill schoolhouse, a section of the original Windsor Road turnpike proclaimed by Governor Macquarie in 1813, and the site of the doomed 1804 ‘Vinegar Hill’ convict rebellion.

Find out more

Sydney Living Museums Image

‘ROUSE HILL: Another good concert. On Friday night last the spacious Arcade at Rouse Hill House … was filled to overflowing, and the entertainment proved an excellent one.’ (Windsor and Richmond Gazette, 17 February 1906)

Latest news

Panoramic view of interior of wooden building with a collection of farming and other items.

Conservation

Woolshed conservation: removing the collectionMonday 24 August 2020

Over recent months the first stage of a major conservation project in the woolshed at Rouse Hill Estate has been underway.

 

Kristen Allan’s ricottaMonday 1 April 2019

 

A perfectly bucolic idyllFriday 27 July 2018

Banner promoting NAIDOC week 2018 Because of her we can.

 

NAIDOC Week 2018Monday 9 July 2018